Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Grace

I was reminded of a conversation I'd had with a friend of mine (a very good dancer) a while back. She talked about grace and I remember asking question after question about what she thought it consisted of. Economy and peace, seem to be two qualities of grace or elegance. Her vivid image was that of an elderly woman, probably has gone through a lot of hardship, yet she is increasingly graceful. I asked if men could be graceful. This wasn't a quality she would usually refer to men, but for older men this was quite likely. I think of Artur Rubinstein, and of the elderly Merce Cunningham in this sense...

I think lightness is another character, lightness of movement, of speech, of gesture...
I found myself saying to a student of mine to imagine a butterfly is sitting on her bow... and one on her shoulder, and one on her head, and one on her nose, and on the tip of the violin. She laughed, and even though it didn't change her 4 year-old joints work less tightly immediately it might change the inner attitude.

No comments:

Blog Archive