Thursday, November 09, 2006

Like a well-lubricated Machine

My violin lesson today was long and draining, however the result of my practice was obvious first of all in my attitude to the instrument. the result was for Mark to evaluate, but I knew the process so it is mine to evaluate (in fairness and aiming for objectivity):

- I have practiced on a fairly consistent basis.

- What I have worked on I have worked with genuine interest.

- I have found glimpses of new approaches to the instrument (freedom of the jazz player, of Grapelli and sweetness of the tone and precision of intonation for the emotional content of it, freedom of right arm, ...)

- I've almost avoided my weak areas. I have started with deconstructing and analysing, learning the in and out of some of the material, and then as my intentions faded, by the end of the two weeks, I have only practiced what I had learnt already, avoided the deconstruction and reconstruction (engineer's / craftsman's work) on the left over material.)

+ + +
During this two week period I'll be focusing on the following:

INTONATION < - ->SHIFTING

VARIETY IN DYNAMICS:
- what is my dynamic range?
- what colours of tone are they related to on my instrument?
- which articulations use dynamics as their main aspect? (cres. decres. > sfz fp <> , etc)

Should be fun...

No comments:

Blog Archive