Monday, November 06, 2006

when does learning take place?

I talked to a TTC person today (that is Toronto Transit Commission). I was waiting for the subway, one across the station just left and for whatever reason there were numerous sparks on the rail... I asked if this was normal, he didn't know. He was a bus driver. I asked if he had worked on the subway. He said he did for some time, but "you have to kill people". apparently 300 people a year die from throwing themselves on the tracks. that's almost 1 every day. he had experienced it himself. He said in NewYork in rush hour, they don't even stop the trains, after an accident, so the dead person gets smashed by the trains over and over and over (about one train every 3 minutes or so).

***

I'm making some accomplishments in practicing violin. Certain power can be achieved from a sense of embodiment and confidence, and freedom in the joints, much like Oistrakh. the right arm is loose and powerfull. The impulse to make the note comes not from the left but from the right arm, from the moving part, not from the thinking centre.

Intonation comes from emotion centre.

so what does the thinking centre do?

something to consider next time i practice. I'm often extremely busy in the thoughts... organization, evaluation, analysis, but most importantly concerns such as "will Rubin hear me? will he like my intonation? Am I too loud? Do I look wierd? Can I check my email on these computers?" and conflicts such as " maybe you should stop. really? yeah... let me play again? Oh well forget about it... but I'm tensing up. oooh that was out of tune... again ooooh again..."

That's why I like to lie on my back for a bit after a little bit of practicing... and start again... to see the the effect of the tension in my body. The I can laugh at myself lightly and perhaps continue.

I wonder, in this hudge-pudge when does learning take place?

No comments:

Blog Archive