Monday, December 04, 2006

Time to time Time

There was a very interesting discussion about time. I was too involved with inner considerations to contribute, and my judging brain was hard at work. Still there were quite some interesting comments and experiences.

I believe the experience of passage of time is one of the ultimate experiences that one could have. The yogi, it is said, can feel the large cycles of life as undivided elapses of time. I can at most feel 10 seconds go by without subdividing, I think so at least. I guess that means the Yogi can look at himself in the mirror and see his face aging, or the flower blooming.

One of the questions was regarding the natural speeding up of tempo in class, when playing music and dancing, "I wonder why the metronome always slows down!" some one said with humour.

My experience of time can be very vivid, sometimes it is as if it is flowing through a different medium, it seems more viscous I can see more and hear more and touch more and just experience its passage and the continuous change of all things.
Other times I look and see it is the end of the day and I have no idea when and how my day has passed. I wonder if it is possible in the quantum mechanics to relate the nature of time's passage to attention. A certain kind of awareness seems to change time's nature. The medium that it is made of, the intensity of ether... do these make any sense at all?

I practiced Kanjira (south Indian frame drum) with the metronome. [1-South Indian tradition has to be the most complete and in depth analysis and experience of musical time.-check out Dasa Pranas! Perhaps I should write about it. /2-How do I know the metronome is actually correct?] Until my attention thinned out and I got interested in the mere mechanics and capability of playing, I had a sense of time's passage in the grid of the metronome, how accurately can I play? How can I tell that a certain beat was longer than the other? what system in me gives me a sense of this? I know that if I'm attentive and relaxed I can feel this and keep good time. but also Daclroze's discovery is of importance, I can keep amazingly good time for quite a long duration without much awareness when I'm walking or running, without even experiencing it's passage. I ran outside this afternoon almost just for that...

Also another idea that was brought up was our sense of duration and its relation to surface activity. That is, how filled with stuff it is. One example of it is how a busy day feels shorter than a boring day, another is the rushing of 16th notes in music, it's almost inevitable, almost everyone does it. Then other people talked about rushing in a more general sense. hurry from the outside but not from the inside.

T i m e t o g o .

No comments:

Blog Archive