Monday, February 19, 2007

Re: Waves of Longing

Satisfaction granted! I was happy with the music and with the way the music and the choreography fit together.

I don’t know what else to say about the specifics of the piece, just that it was good. I was nervous, and the dancers said they liked the music. Also this marked the first musical collaboration between Rick and I which proved to be musical and smooth. Of course here and there, a little dent in the surface of the music, an out of tune note or unfitting pattern. Not a shiny clear perfect product, but with good content. I especially remember some notes rich with vibrato and nuance, juicy!


Also Alison, a good friend from York days was there with whom I had an interesting conversation afterwards. She was very inspiring when she talked about teaching, and reminded me of my late uncle whose humour and sense of psychological in-tune-ness with the students was probably his greatest quality. It seems to me that Alison also becomes a kid when she teaches the kids, and relates to them from their own platform. Something I’m sometimes afraid to do. “How do they know the boundaries? Don’t they climb all over you?” I asked. There seems to be a respect somehow, and the work gets done, even if hard work, at the end, she ends with a note “piano playing is hard work isn’t it? Just like being an athlete, you have to stretch and practice and …” and to end with a happy note, fun and funny note. You don’t want them leaving the class hating me, or even worse, hating music!

Very inspiring indeed… and I’m not going to tell you details.

No comments:

Blog Archive