Friday, October 20, 2006

Today was all work and emotions. Sentiments have their place, not hear. I'll just say that this time I'm giving them time to live. I slept when I came home and took a bath, which was good.

I have two new projects, two collaborations with old friends. One with Rick Roose and Lily's choreography. I've never worked with Rick. I love the guy, and I'm curious what sort of process we will have together... The dance is coming out of improvisation, and I'm glad it's a smaller group.

I have a gig now with Vanessa. I spoke to her today, and we laughed quite a bit. She's a successful singer songwriter, and making her living with good spirits. I'm excited about this 2 hr improv gig... I'm wondering what sort of preparation we could have. A larger group has it's advantages (like a few group vocal pieces, and varous combinations and instumentation). It'll be a fun challenge to the scope of my musicianship. We will see.

As for practicing, I had a few minutes of practicing today. When one starts and things are just not falling is place. I managed to find my way into the violin mind set or mode. It's actually the body that is problematic, the holding of the violin, the position of the head, the tightness of the neck and intonation. But today I found my way in with the mind: freedom of the head and the lightness of touch, and the natural movement of limbs, then attention to the sound itself and "seeing" oneself in action. Then one can think analytically: intonation and the colour of sound, as Mark said yesterday the personality of each note in context.

Anyhow...

Work tomorrow, and then Array music. I'm interested to see the show. Maybe a few lines tomorrow night.

No comments:

Blog Archive