Thursday, November 02, 2006

Accompaniment

Prof. Sankaran's concert

Do I know anything about music? whydo I try so hard and why do I get stuck trying only? Enjoying of the music, and thinking about making sense of things, and the concert has gone by. Only moments, one or two moments I heard sounds and only listened to them. But more is going on, communication and a lot more on the social level. and why is it easiest to see and judge the social gestures? Oh he is probably so scared. I worry for this guy who looks less confident ... and so on.

Vanessa:

I rehearsed with Vanessa for our show in two weeks. This is going to be a completely (or almost completely anyway) improvised. We are going to try to structure it somehow. I'd like to go on stage with at least some intention for the space and time of the show. We played some good, interesting stuff. I'm worried about over-rehearsing. I don't know what use our vocabulary is going to be, but we came up with a few moods, relationships, sounds, etc.

I feel good about what I can do. I think I have quite a range of musical spaces. They are like little rooms, hallways, and some dead-end places. Anyhow there are a few and sometimes I stumble over a few of them.

I should find some neat haikus for our show, I love to play for poetry also.
I love accompanying in general. Support and sometimes push and pull pretty drastically, but rather understated. I tried to listen to prof Sankaran's playing as accompaniment. He clearly Knows, that's why he can be so supportive, that's how he can bring so much breath into his playing. I think that's one of the major differences between him and the other drummers, he has breath "prana".

No comments:

Blog Archive