Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Grapelli

I have yet to practice, it is late and it is the last day... I have nothing extra-ordinary to say... There is a recording of Grapelli and Menuhin of Gershwin's Summer Time. Exquisite!! Grapelli has breath (prana as Indians would say!) in his playing, Menuhin has this edge, attractive in a way despite, or maybe because of, the slight out-of-tune-ness, but not as natural sounding as Grapelli, improv world is just something else... just something else, right out of you, right out of the moment.

There is one video of Oistrakh playing Shostakovitch violin concerto kadenza, this is something pre-composed and pre-practiced, but he plays it with such understanding and spontanaity that it seems improvised.

Was i not lucky to run into the world of improvisation?
Could I play my pre-practiced music with the spontanaity of improv, moment by moment, feeling the need for the next phrase, note, freely?

Jaime Weisenblum was thins kind of a guy, he told me to practice with all kinds of bowing, so you can choose on the spot whichever feels right. well, then I knew little about bowing, so I didn't practice bowing, I just never made decisions or learnt any bowing.

No comments:

Blog Archive