Monday, November 20, 2006

Practice

These days I've practiced violin more...

Last saturday I was at York U practicing. Running into Brian Katz was a very intriguing accident. I had an interesting experience playing etudes, shifting, and intonation (Kreutzer shifting and arpeggio etudes). I had a glimpse of the machine that plays the violin, the whole of the machine seemed to be involved in the creation of the sound; the eyes reading, observing the left and right arms working simultaneusly and in exact co-ordination, the feed-back loop between the ear and adjusting fingertips, seemed uninterrupted by inner chattering of thoughts. I was calm and less than usual muscular tensions... freedom and clean clear voice.

I was quite happy, I thought I can play and that I've seen something worthwhile, and could play music. In this case creativity and individuality were less important, not the artist that uses the hights of his innate talent and imagination, but more like a fleshy complex machine working smoothely, elegantly, and melodiously, a part fitting in the function set out for it.

I had often ignored this aspect of playing, it is fun to see that things are possible.

No comments:

Blog Archive