Thursday, February 08, 2007

Absent Minded

This is not an entry regarding dance or music.

I bought myself a pair of gloves last week. I realized just after leaving the bus that the reason that I feel cold is because my hands are not covered and that is because I left the new gloves in the seat. That happens when I get too much into the head, ideas, and thoughts keep rolling.

I once ran into someone I knew on the subway. I had missed my stop by two stops and she was getting off to go home. "How come you are getting off here?" I had been reading something, or writing, or something of that sort. It was a funny when I ran into the same person another time in a similar situation. This trigered a conversation later where having felt silly I was reasoning and philisophyzing the absent-minded-ness.

We value this absent-minded-ness as a sign of genious sometimes: Stories of Einstein and Newton's fogetfullness and so on. they are occupied with much more important things that don't notice the red light and keep driving, or too intelectually occupied to give the correct change to the coffee shop, or to notice the fire alarm while painting... or to leave their gloves on the bus.

Does mental occupation (let's say internal occupation) take away from the sensations? Do you "transcend" the state you are at and bypass the signals that tell you "your stop is next"? Or can intense thinking be all inclusive?

How about music? how about dancing? It changes for me from time to time. Sometimes it is imagination that goes on a fantastic ride when you listen to music, and it is vivid as heaven. Sometimes it is not the imagination but the reality of senses, when I play for instance. I love it when I am able to see all the movements and the walls and myslef in the midst of it all in the dance class.

Truth is I don't really care. I want my gloves back they were so cool and so warm.

No comments:

Blog Archive