Thursday, March 01, 2007

Alexander Technique

I can observe a decline in my interest to write on this blog. I do hope some people come here sometimes.

Today I have made a decision to pursue the Alexander technique in a real and deep way. Perhaps to become a practitioner and teacher. You see we are limited by our habits, our life is dicated in a way by our habitual patterns of action (both in movement and in emotion and thinking). The Alexander technique provides one way to bypass our habitual patterns at least as related to the physical body. You see the idea is that there is a system in our bodies that is designed to control our movements. What we often do (as I understand through misuse of our consious control over our body) is to try with our mental brain to do what this system (that Alexander calls Primary Control, and I suspect is the same thing as kinesthetic inteligence or sense, that is refered to by Dalcroze simply as 'knowing where our limbs are') is designed to do and surely knows better.

Alexander found out that the only way he could change his old habits of movement was to not do them, he had the power to give up his will to "do", which is what he calls inhibition. This momentary stop allowed the Primary control to kick in. This is only my understading of it, and to some extent my own experience.

I know lessons are expensive, but take one some time.

5 comments:

Kousha said...

wow!
I'd better write a comment for myself. How did you find out about this?

Kousha said...

Long story!
p.s.You know you could comment as Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

For info about the Alexander Teschnique, there's no better source than http://alexandertechnique.com

Good luck with teacher training!

Anonymous said...

You are funny to comment on your own posting... I was brought to your site by my automatic google search on the Alexander Technique and it was interesting to read the bit you had to say about your decision and such... I remember when I made the decision to leave my job and go train. Life sure took it's own turn since then. One of my two training teachers said: "It''s like walking in the mist - you come inside and then you realize that you are wet."

Best of luck, Luc.

Kousha said...

aah,

well you see otherwise no one else would comment! would you? it is exciting to hear from unknown friends.

Where did you do your teacher training?

Blog Archive