Sunday, March 11, 2007

Theatre?!

Theatre is just the latest exciting thing.
I was involved with a demonstration of contact dance for some theatre students. In fact I mostly (only) played the violin, accompanying them. This was organized by Pam Johnson one of the active contact dancers who makes a living from performing and teaching contact. I did not know that contact dancing is used as a theatrical tool in scene study especially in physical theatre. I can't say what it means because I barely know myself. What I do know is that I was much impressed by their freedom in movement and friendship with gravity and their extremely physical extroversion.

I went and saw a show today and I wasn't as impressed. But I like the possibilities of the art form and the thought that what an amazing training a theatre student might get! Literary training, movement anesthetic training, voice, projection, spatial awareness, personality study, etc. It sounds like an essential ingredient (co-requisite?) for life and presence, add to that math and abstract thinking and you've got it. I've realized that I'm asleep most of the time. I want my ears to awaken and my eyes and my hands and my mouth and my body and breath. I like to be more alert and awake. I'm not sure that the theatrical training is the right answer and that I will pursue, but it's just intriguing.

No comments:

Blog Archive